All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Florida

~ Donate ~
Many Options To Choice From

Old 07-08-2002, 09:09 AM   #1
Kenythsmom
I am New

Kenythsmom is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been struggling with Volusia County's child support system for about 21 months now and am looking for anybody who could offer some advice. I lived in the Daytona Beach area for about 4 years while attending ERAU. I met my daughter's father there and we lived together until I was 4 months pregnant. He made it perfectly clear that he did not want to be a father at 23 and so I decided to move back home to Michigan where I would be closer to my family. I gave him nearly 8 months to "do the right thing" and offer some sort of assistance - financial, emotional, anything would have been nice - when I got nothing from him I decided to begin the child support process. I had no idea what a nightmare it would be. I had heard the horror stories but they always involved a "deadbeat dad" who worked for cash to avoid payroll deduction and moved around so he couldn't be tracked down. There was nothing complicated about my case! We knew where he lived, worked (he was a flight instructor at ERAU at the time) there was no problem determining paternity, and yet it still took 19 months to establish a support order. Finally I started receiving some money and after 2 months it just stopped. I contacted FOC in Mich. who told me I had to find out what was going on from Volusia Co. When I finally convinced someone to tell me what was going on I found out that they had closed the case. Someone decided that since he was a pilot, and not in FL all of the time, that FL no longer had jursidiction over the case. No one bothered to contact me. The money just stopped coming. It was like the case had just dissappeared! When I complained enough they said they would re-open the case but they would have to have another hearing. I feel like I'm moving backward. It's like Volusia Co. is constantly working against me. I just don't know how to handle it anymore. I've thought about saving my money and flying down for the hearing, but what if they decide to re-schedule the hearing (like they've done at least 4 times in the past)? Am I just supposed to hang out in Daytona Beach until they decide to have another hearing? I'm so frustrated!!! Does anybody have any advice?
Kenythsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Advertisements

Old 07-21-2002, 09:34 PM   #2
goldenbird
I am New

goldenbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I found the Florida forum.
Well I know that in New York if you live two counties away you can appear in court by phone. I wonder if Florida has such a provision.
Maybe you can appear in court by phone.
Try to get a wage garnish from his employer.
Write letters to the managers of the child support office and then if no help there, go higher on the ladder.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease I think.
goldenbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:06 PM   #3
Sara1020
Board Member

Sara1020 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Illinois the non custodial parent lives in Broward County Florida at the moment. He moves back and forth between Broward County and Miami Dade County. I to have been having trouble with Florida in general. I call that 1 800 # for the dept of revenue that they say deals with the multi state cases however after two months I still have not gotten thru to anyone who can help me or answer any of my questions. I too ask my own state for help and like Michiagn, Illinois told me I have to deal with Florida that there is nothing that Illinois can do. Well to make a long story short I have waited long enough it has been over 4 years since I first asked for help.
I have become tired of trying to go thru the system in an orderly fashion. I have decided to start writing to any one with an email address who I think might be able to help me as well as calling all toll free numbers in hope someone might have a better idea. I have even written letters to Governor Bush as well as a letter to the head of the dept of revenue. Even though we do not personally vote in there jurisdiction's they are voted in to office as the public's servants and since we are the public they should be able to help us.
Sara1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
Steve1412
I am New

Steve1412 is an unknown quantity at this point

Florida Child Support Enforcement is a joke, they have done nothing for my two children and myself in four long years, of course I am disabled and also a WHITE MALE, so I guess that puts me at a Great DISADVANTAGE !!!
Steve1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:51 AM   #5
margo marie
I am New

margo marie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my child support through them as well. I learned that I had to do my own investigating on their dad on my own and THEN forward it to the branch in Daytona Beach.
www.myfloridacounty.com has links on the child support info in FL.
margo marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

My Mood: Apelike
MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Volusia County

and to think here we are approaching 2010 and not much of a change, except salaries are higher. I guess i should be glad someone is getting money
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote