Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Raising boys is all about time & timing - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents of ALL boys

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
star Raising boys is all about time & timing

Raising boys is all about time & timing

Posted by:Michael Grose

It’s stating the obvious that boys and girls are different.

But one of the biggest differences is based around time and timing.

Get your head around this and you start to unravel the secret to successfully raising boys………and reduce some of the frustration you feel when you compare your son with your daughters, or other people’s daughters.

Understanding this will help you deliver the greatest gifts you can give you to your son........but more about this later.

Here are three examples of how time and timing differs with boys, and how you can use this knowledge to your advantage:

1. Their maturity levels
Boys take longer to mature than girls. This is a source of great consternation in many families where the eldest is a boy preceded by a girl. If a boy’s sister is only a couple of years younger then there’s a good chance they are on a par academically and socially.

First borns boys like to have a competency gap between themselves and those that follow. A younger sister (or brother) is maturing earlier can be a source of consternation leading many eldest boys to give up, or give their sister merry ****!

Differing maturity rates affect boys’ school readiness, their transition to secondary school, and their into adulthood.

2. What motivates them

Boys are more likely to live in the now than girls. A generalisation I know, but it’s true.

Teenage boys, in particular, live for the moment.

The trick is to use this knowledge to your advantage. For instance, avoid lecturing your teenager about how his current behaviour is going to impact on his adulthood. A 15 year-old can’t see life beyond next week let alone when he’s 25. So get into his timeframe when trying to motivate, dissuade or persuade him.

For instance, you’re more likely to instil good sleep habits into boys if you point out that a good night’s sleep will help them play football/ guitar/surf/ pick up girls than be better for their long-term health!

3. Their ability to focus

Ever noticed how some boys will work at diminished capacity on anything that’s not important to them? This happens around schooling a lot. Give them a project that’s due in a week and they’ll amble along for six days and then focus like a laser beam the night before it’s due (often after a great deal of panic or a brief mental meltdown!)

One way to get boys to focus is shorten their deadlines. Give them two days, not two weeks to do something.

Even better shorten the deadline and give them a practical purpose ( or a tangible reward if you can’t think of a good purpose) for doing something – “hand this work in tomorrow and you’ll get ten free minutes of free play!”
Alternatively, if they drift along waiting until the last minute and then go into a mad panic, don’t sweat it. They may just be saving themselves for that big effort!

The greatest gifts to give boys revolves around time.

Not just your time, although that is important, particularly for dads whose time boys crave. In fact, most boys crave some one-on-one time with their dads, as long as it’s done a way that’s relevant to their age.

But there’s two other time aspects to consider. First, give them time to mature and develop. Don’t expect them to be what you want them to be on your timing. Most boys take their time growing up. It takes patience and time to grow a boy…….. sometimes a decade or two.

The other aspect refers to communicating with boys. Adults who do best with boys have a way of getting into their timeframe. They can talk with them about what interests them now, what’s important to them now, what’s grabbing their attention now. That’s relatively easy when your sons are under ten, but challenging when they are teenagers.

You have to be a little cunning to get into a teenage boy’s timeframe. A parent who picks up a teenage boy from a party at midnight, just may have a better chance of getting into this timeframe and getting a window into what’s important than one who parents from a distance.

So time and timing are the keys!

Give boys time to mature, give them your time and get into their timeframe if you want to get on their wavelength.

Read More here:
http://www.parentingideas.com.au/Blo...-time---timing
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Raising boys is all about time & tim

The frustrating thing for me are those glimpses of maturity and I think "He has arrived" only to see him become a boy again 10 minutes later, not the man I saw for a few minutes!
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

right muskie... I sometime freak when I hear a deep mans voice in my house , to then realize its one of my kids standing his ground from his brother/s...
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
mommarose Female
Setting New Standards

mommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, Muskie, so true. I see that with my 11 year old. He and his older brother are both going through puberty at the same time.

I see many glimpses of a mature boy, and then immediately after a younger boy.
mommarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Woodsimply Female
Thinks too much

Woodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

IDK- But I know having a "man" in my house is about to drive me bonkers!!!
He is so **** moody! And when he is grumpy---Watch Out!
He's been on a real "orderly" kick lately. Giving the little ones things to do, etc.
Has this frame of mind that having a j o b exempts him from housework.

He always forgets to pick SomethinG up when I tell him to pick up his mess, then gets pissy when I call him back downstairs to pick up the remainder of his mess!

I refuse, absolutely Refuse to pick up after a kid who insists on being treated like an adult!

Rant over.
I feel better

You cannot get an answer, if you do not ask the question. Say what you need to say.
~Just me
Woodsimply is offline   Reply With Quote