Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Valentine's Day? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> ThroughOut The Year > Febuary

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
FamRox8
Learning to Surf The Board

FamRox8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valentine's Day?

Ok ladies and gents, what are you doing for Valentine's Day? Do you all also get flowers for your moms on V-Day? I'm thinking of getting my mother some flowers and having them delivered to her job as a surprise. This is the bouquet I'm looking at.....what do you think?

FamRox8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
LeeX2

LeeX2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never gotten my mom anything on Valentines day and the thought of doing so seems a little creepy to me.

But if it's your tradition then have at it, I'm sure she'll enjoy the roses.
LeeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Kozzy
Active Board Parent

Kozzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by LeeX2:
I've never gotten my mom anything on Valentines day and the thought of doing so seems a little creepy to me.

But if it's your tradition then have at it, I'm sure she'll enjoy the roses.
Really? Then there are alot of creepy people out there.
It's not just for sweethearts, but to show love to everyone you care for.
Kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Kozzy
Active Board Parent

BTW OP....love that bouquet!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
newmom1 Female
Board Blazen Parent

newmom1 is a glorious beacon of lightnewmom1 is a glorious beacon of light

That's a very nice bouquet, I'm sure she's going to love it.

As for me, I'll be working all night, not that it really matters, since I have never celebrated valentines day in my life. I did those "pass around the cards in class because you have to" thing elementary school, but that's about it.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by newmom1:
I did those "pass around the cards in class because you have to" thing elementary school, but that's about it.
Yeah me too..... Now, I look around and thing, "here is the day that hallmark gets rich!" Cynical, jaded and so on.

But I LOVE the bouqet and I think if your mom and you are close---she would love it.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
I did those "pass around the cards in class because you have to" thing elementary school, but that's about it.
Yeah me too..... Now, I look around and thing, "here is the day that hallmark gets rich!" Cynical, jaded and so on.

But I LOVE the bouqet and I think if your mom and you are close---she would love it.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #8
Marielle
Board Beacon Parent

Marielle is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Valentine's Day was all to do with romantic love, as opposed to agape.....
(noun
1. (Christian theology) the love of God or Christ for mankind
2. selfless love of one person for another without sexual implications (especially love that is spiritual in nature)

lovely bunch of flowers! would never give me mum anything on Valentine's day, nor dad....

and uh, I will be lucky to get anything meself too!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
Kozzy
Active Board Parent

Quote:
Originally posted by Marielle:
I thought Valentine's Day was all to do with romantic love, as opposed to agape.....
(noun
1. (Christian theology) the love of God or Christ for mankind
2. selfless love of one person for another without sexual implications (especially love that is spiritual in nature)

lovely bunch of flowers! would never give me mum anything on Valentine's day, nor dad....

and uh, I will be lucky to get anything meself too!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine
Here in the US it's very common to include your Mother in your Valentine giving....at least where I'm from it is.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Marielle
Board Beacon Parent

Marielle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Kozzy:
Here in the US it's very common to include your Mother in your Valentine giving....at least where I'm from it is.
Never a day goes by when I don't learn something new!!
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
HannahsBoy
Lively & Zealous Parent

HannahsBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if it's tradition or not...but...
If I don't get a handmade card from Hannah she'll be sleeping on the beach....
HannahsBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
captmatrix
Lively & Zealous Parent

captmatrix is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ha, ha, ha!
I STILL have to do that "pass around the cards in class" thing every year.
captmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
B's Momma
On the Board

B's Momma is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't send my mom anything for Valentine's day, but each year on my birthday I send her flowers!

Valentine's Day is just too out of control for me, all the cards, candy, etc... I decided not to buy into all that carp a few years back and it feels really good to walk right past all the holiday displays in the stores now. Of course as Bridger gets older I'm sure he'll want to have cards for his classmates, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it...
"If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the whole world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back, and get it right side up again!" -- Sojourner Truth
B's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
tripfour
Active Board Parent

tripfour is an unknown quantity at this point

HB gave me an idea - get drunk and pass out on the beach. Of course, this time of year that means they'll find me frozen like a popsicle in the morning.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Jaylie
Active Board Parent

Jaylie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by tripfour:
HB gave me an idea - get drunk and pass out on the beach. Of course, this time of year that means they'll find me frozen like a popsicle in the morning.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
Jaylie
Active Board Parent

Quote:
Originally posted by B's Momma:
I don't send my mom anything for Valentine's day, but each year on my birthday I send her flowers!
THAT IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA!!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
Jaylie
Active Board Parent

Personally I think of Valentines Day as a way to celebrate LOVE and ALL the people we LOVE!!
I focus on my children & I like to give them something little but special. It is just another day to let them know how loved & cherished they are and what a blessing they have been to me!!
I think it is also a great day to celebrate how blessed we are with the love from our family & friends!! There are so many ways to love & if we only get caught up in the "romantic" love then it can leave many people feeling lost & sad & lonely b/c they "Don't have a Valentine"

How about the "love" we all share through our bond here at SFV as single parents!! We are so lucky to have this place to share & receive support!!

I know it's not "the same" as snuggling in with your Valentine but if we can learn to think of love from so many of these angles it may relieve some of the Commercial preassure of Valentines Day & we may all just get through another year!!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Alejandra
Setting New Standards

Alejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by tripfour:they'll find me frozen like a popsicle in the morning.
uh...YUM!

If the fetus you save is gay, will you still fight for its rights???

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~William Gibson
Alejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
tripfour
Active Board Parent

Ah, watching a woman eat a popsicle - one of life's simple pleasures ! LMFAO !
Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I thought guys liked to watch girls eat bananas....silly me.
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

Quote:
Originally posted by HannahsBoy:
Not sure if it's tradition or not...but...
If I don't get a handmade card from Hannah she'll be sleeping on the beach....
........if only I had that problem! What I wouldn't give to be sleeping on a warm beach somewhere.........
Old 02-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #22
FamRox8

Quote:
Originally posted by B's Momma:
That is a good idea!!

The picture of the bouquet is from Teleflora. Has anyone ever used Teleflora to have flowers delivered?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #23
northwoods
Visitor

I always hang out with my daughter then so and see my mom, then my daughter and I order pizza and watch chick flicks
Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #24
FamRox8

<span class="ev_code_RED">HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!!!!!</span>

Every color rose means something differnt so I figured I would cover all colors

I ordered my flowers.

If you still need to get someone something.... www.teleflora.com/KISS (the KISS at the end will let you save $10). Expires today.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #25
YJL279 Female
Pray Until Smthng happens

YJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Tripfour, why are you so CRUEL???

A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug. --Patricia Neal

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe. --Anatole France
YJL279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #26
tripfour
Active Board Parent

Quote:
Tripfour, why are you so CRUEL???
Yikes, sorry. Now what did I do ?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #27
comingup4air Female

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Hey! I am still home sick, but just got 2 dozen roses delivered to my house!!!! AAAHHH....from a friend of mine (a guy) who has been really supportive of me and my girl from the beginning. :-) We are not romantic and do NOT intend to be, but it's nice to have a guy friend who doesn't want you-know-what. There was also a really nice vase and a box of chocolates. My girl is SO excited so I said they were for both of us and she helped me put them in 2 vases. What a NICE surprise!!! TOTALLY didn't expect this.

Idig is the backbone and center for all of us!
Blue lives where I want to live.
AM is the person who keeps me sane.
Lisa is the person who makes dreams real.
Natty inspires me.
Dad and Muskie restored my faith in men.
*Favorite quote from Blue: Sometimes being smart just means you can justify things to yourself more creatively- and better fool others into enabling you.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #28
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

I didn't know you were still sick! Is E better? That is great that your friend sent you roses and chocolates. I read a quote somewhere the other day that said something to the affect of "Maybe friends are our true soulmates."

Happy Valentine's Day everybody!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #29
comingup4air Female

Yea....I'm still sick, but E has rounded the corner and is finally starting to feel better. She's lost some weight, though.... I plan on resting this LONG weekend. woohoo!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #30
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

You get a long weekend??? GRRRRRRR, not fair!

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #31
comingup4air Female

Yes! LONG weekend...but being home sick all week hasn't been fun. I am hoping this gets a lot better by Tuesday. BUT, E really seems better and has tons of her energy back tonight. She is telling everyone on the phone that she got roses!!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #32
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by comingup4air:
She is telling everyone on the phone that she got roses!!
Awww, I'm smiling ear to ear thinking about it!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #33
comingup4air Female

Yea...she's such a cutie!! She is feeling a lot better now. She'll nap some today (and me right along with her) and then we'll do something this afternoon for Valentine's day.

Idig is the backbone and center for all of us!
Blue lives where I want to live.
AM is the person who keeps me sane.
Lisa is the person who makes dreams real.
Natty inspires me.
Dad and Muskie restored my faith in men.
*Favorite quote from Blue: Sometimes being smart just means you can justify things to yourself more creatively- and better fool others into enabling you.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #34
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Bah Humbug!!!!! Just kidding
Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #35
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Default Re: Valentine's Day?

wow, good thing we know how to improve our golf swing now. Very helpful for single parents
Old 08-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #36
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

yah, who has time for golfing? I'd rather be hunting or fishing with my sons.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #37
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

1st y'all are anti-greek....now y'all are anti-golfer...i'm beginning to feel unloved...
Bubba'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #38
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Weird. Weird little spammer....

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #39
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I has send a rose to my Grandma every Val day, Now that I'm older I miss her dearly. Would like an update on how that bunch of roses went over with your mom, or did you find something else???

This post just shows that, it love can be shown to anyone you care about. And not forget ones own parents who have been there for you and who has you back.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote