Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Parents in germany jailed for home schooling their kids! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Stay @ Home Single Parents

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
azsteelerfan43
Board Member

azsteelerfan43 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone heard about how parents have to pay fines, could go to jail, lose their homes and even have their kids taken away if they choose to home school them?
When I first saw this story on t.v.-I couldn't believe germany would do this to people as I thought they were trying to get over the whole Nazi thing , then after East germany becoming free-I assumed Germany was in fact free and no longer the totalitarionistic government it once was. But after seeing this and doing more research about it-it seems like they still have a way to go.
There are articles about this-one good one is www.brusselsjournals.com/node/139. If anyone thinks this whole thing is a travesty of the part of germany's government-check out the articles. I'm planning on sending their officials some of my thoughts on this situation.
azsteelerfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
azsteelerfan43
Board Member

Has anyone heard about how parents have to pay fines, could go to jail, lose their homes and even have their kids taken away if they choose to home school them?
When I first saw this story on t.v.-I couldn't believe germany would do this to people as I thought they were trying to get over the whole Nazi thing , then after East germany becoming free-I assumed Germany was in fact free and no longer the totalitarionistic government it once was. But after seeing this and doing more research about it-it seems like they still have a way to go.
There are articles about this-one good one is www.brusselsjournals.com/node/139. If anyone thinks this whole thing is a travesty of the part of germany's government-check out the articles. I'm planning on sending their officials some of my thoughts on this situation.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
paulj_in_phx Male
Back From the Dead..Sorta

paulj_in_phx is a splendid one to beholdpaulj_in_phx is a splendid one to behold

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by azsteelerfan43:
I'm planning on sending their officials some of my thoughts on this situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh...they dont care...they're still pissed cause we patented and marketed German chocolate cake and named a ground beef sandwich after one of their cities.

Such losers....no offense if you're from Germany.
paulj_in_phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
azsteelerfan43
Board Member

Your right- it may not help from one person -but if they get pressured from people and human rights groups from all over the world it mam make them rethink their policies. One would think they would not want to keep a law around that Hitler made!
And yeah- no offense to anyone who is German or lives there-it's the people in the government keeping these laws in place.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 AM   #5
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

StopDiscrimination is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, AZ....

I tried checking out that link you posted but it appears that the domain name has expired.

I lived in Germany for three years and loved it. I am not offended. I lived on "American soil" so I have no idea how their politics really work.

I do know that there are no homeless people, the streets are clean, men vote and women don't, they recycle EVERYTHING, all their fruits/veggies are organic, the autobahn is awesome, there is healthcare for everyone, their education standards are pretty high (they are all required to learn English as a second language), they don't like to be asked about Hitler or anything to do with that war, they are actually very family oriented and very outdoorsy, have great food, have great beer and wine, they are nice and polite (some have had different experiences) always have their tea times, they have cigarette dispensers on every corner even in their neighborhoods (LOL), their discos are awesome (meaning, clubs)...but that is all surface stuff. I know nothing about their politics. That country is very beautiful, too.

I do know (because I had to get their driver's license) that if they suspect you are driving drunk they can require you to give them a urine sample right there on the spot. You are also required to carry a huge first aid kit in your car as well as a triangle.

Anyway, what was that about people getting arrested for homeschooling their kids???
- Lord Chesterfield
StopDiscrimination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
paulj_in_phx Male

paulj_in_phx is a splendid one to beholdpaulj_in_phx is a splendid one to behold

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StopDiscrimination:

I lived in Germany for three years and loved it. .... men vote and women don't, ....??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO....Well, there you go!...LOL...

::runs away really fast::
Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

LMAO...well, you see, we lived on "US soil" so we still ran the show.
- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
4strong Female
Board Blazen Parent

4strong is an unknown quantity at this point

I have friends that recently became missionarys to Germany and this was one of their issues. They have three kids, 10, 8, and 3 and they had to immediately enroll them in public school even though didn't speak the language at all. And my friend was an elementary achool teacher back here in the states. It was hard but the kids adapted really quickly. They also start the kids in preschool and stuff really young. Their three year old had to be potty trained by age two so he could start preschool!
4strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BASICALLYAMY:
Hmmmm. Now this is a good question. Would I, as a woman, give up my right to vote to make sure there are no more homeless people and have a cleaner environment? Wow that's a tough one. If I say no then I'm a selfish pig for choosing my right to vote. If I say yes then I basically spit in the eye of every person who laid down their lives to give me that right to vote. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I talked to a lot of German women regarding that and they said that it didn't bother them because they still had a huge influence on their husbands' vote. Obviously, I only talked to married women at the time and not single ones.

As for how I would feel about that? I would probably be burning my bra on the street corner...
- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
paulj_in_phx Male

Woo hoo! I'm all for Bra burning!! LOL..

...uhm..no wait!...strike that....that might not be good.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4strong:
I have friends that recently became missionarys to Germany and this was one of their issues. They have three kids, 10, 8, and 3 and they had to immediately enroll them in public school even though didn't speak the language at all. And my friend was an elementary achool teacher back here in the states. It was hard but the kids adapted really quickly. They also start the kids in preschool and stuff really young. Their three year old had to be potty trained by age two so he could start preschool! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being on post, we had Amercian schools for our kids that were normal to us. They didn't adopt the Germany standards, obviously.

I find their standards that you mentioned interesting...not horribly bad, but definitely different.

It is probably a good thing that the kids learn in their schools, though. Learning their language quickly is a great thing and a huge advantage and to learn their culture isn't bad, either if they are a missionary family. I am sure it is hard, but they will be better off in the end. As long as they aren't teaching the kids BAD stuff, it wouldn't bother me. I might have been a little worried at first, but if they caught on quickly - that is awesome!!!!
- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #12
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulj_in_phx:
Woo hoo! I'm all for Bra burning!! LOL..

...uhm..no wait!...strike that....that might not be good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

There are some interesting things about Germany, too...that might interest the guys....

They have nude beaches, to walk down the road topless is legal, and they have interesting tv programs on tv after eight pm, if you get what I mean and prostitution is legal....they have brothels!!

I have heard a lot of stories about people having sex openly in the clubs...that would be uncomfortable, if you ask me. Also, their clubs are open till the last person leaves...they do not stop serving alcohol at 2am....there is no time limit on that.

I never saw anyone walk down the street topless, though and we didn't have access to those shows on tv...I know that tidbit from staying in a hotel there once when we were visiting Bavaria and my ex was telling me to come see...ugh!!! I also had friends who bought the German cable and had those channels as well.

Their MTV channel has all the videos that the USA banned and they have nudity in their videos. I was shocked the first time I saw that...LOL. I weasn't expecting it.

Oh, guns are banned there, too. Sorry...there are no such things as drive by's in Germany...
- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
paulj_in_phx Male

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StopDiscrimination:
There are some interesting things about Germany, too...that might interest the guys....

They have nude beaches, to walk down the road topless is legal, and they have interesting tv programs on tv after eight pm, if you get what I mean and prostitution is legal....they have brothels!! ..........Oh, guns are banned there, too. Sorry...there are no such things as drive by's in Germany... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I worked in Topless and nude clubs from about 17 to 27....I quickly devloped an attitude that most women look MUUUUUUCH better WITH clothes than Without. No thank you. I stay outta them clubs. Waste of money if you ask me.

Oh...and Guns? Dont let ANYONE try to take MY GUN from me!! UH UH!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

Thank God there are some men out there with taste.

- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #16
4strong Female
Board Blazen Parent

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Oh...and Guns? Dont let ANYONE try to take MY GUN from me!! UH UH! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul J,
Now I'm not trying to say your old or anything but, you remind me of my Dad! That is something he would say! And the way you raise your kids and are strict with them, it's totaly the way my Dad is. And it's a compliment cause he best man in the whole world. And he's not that old anyways, only 47
Old 03-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

BigBobby has disabled reputation

They have nude beaches </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh...you know, Little Bobby and I are going to be in Germany in July and I think that you just gave me an idea of something for us to do. Visit a nude beach!

Lol...you know, I'm serious! These are places that German families go? If so, well...the whole idea behind this trip is for us to experience ways of life around the world. A nude beach would be a radically different experience...

Is everyone required to be naked? Completely naked? Jeez...I dunno if I could make myself walk around a beach fully naked. I dunno if I could coerce little Bobby into doing that either. Lol...a few years back when he was younger, he was happy to parade around naked but modesty has caught up with him. How do they handle sexual preditors on nude beaches? It seems they must exist in Germany...I'd keep clothes on my kids for that reason alone...

Heh...and feel free to suggest anything else to do in Germany, that you think may be a better activity for us.

Later,
Bobby
BigBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
paulj_in_phx Male

Sorry "I" could NOT do that...no way.

I wouldnt want to inflict damage on anyone's pupils.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4strong:

Paul J,
Now I'm not trying to say your old or anything but, you remind me of my Dad! That is something he would say! And the way you raise your kids and are strict with them, it's totaly the way my Dad is. And it's a compliment cause he best man in the whole world. And he's not that old anyways, only 47 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Sweetie,
That's really nice.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #19
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigBobby:
Heh...you know, Little Bobby and I are going to be in Germany in July and I think that you just gave me an idea of something for us to do. Visit a nude beach!

Lol...you know, I'm serious! These are places that German families go? If so, well...the whole idea behind this trip is for us to experience ways of life around the world. A nude beach would be a radically different experience...

Is everyone required to be naked? Completely naked? Jeez...I dunno if I could make myself walk around a beach fully naked. I dunno if I could coerce little Bobby into doing that either. Lol...a few years back when he was younger, he was happy to parade around naked but modesty has caught up with him. How do they handle sexual preditors on nude beaches? It seems they must exist in Germany...I'd keep clothes on my kids for that reason alone...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you serious?!?!??

I am not familiar with the social requirements to attend a nude beach. I have never been to one. LOL I dunno if you have to be completely naked, but I would think so.

LMAO....I opened up a can of worms, didn't I?

uh-um...

About sexual predators, I would definitly assume they were everywhere and I wouldn't take my children to a nude beach (I would never go to one, but if I did)...I am not sure if there are age requirements, but I would think so.

There is so much to do in Germany. Trier is a cool place to go and see all the historical sites there, Ofcourse there is Berlin, the Black Forest (Bavaria), all the castles along the Rein River (you can even stay overnight in one of them for free)...the list goes on and on. Paris, France isn't far from Germany. Neither is Italy. You are virtually smack dab in the middle of Europe and can go anywhere easily. It is really cheap to take a train anywhere you want to go. Taxis are REALLY expensive...stay away from those unless you have no choice. Flying out of Germany to any place in Europe is even cheaper than taking a taxi twenty blocks.

I wish you a safe trip when you go and have fun!!
- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 10:29 PM   #20
paulj_in_phx Male

Guns? luckily I'm a natural marksman...dont ask me why...most guns are too big for my hands....LOL.

I'm not a "Gun Nut" just like what I like. I only have 3, a rifle, Shotgun and my baby...a Sigsauer .380...soooo sweet. LOL

My 2 older kids are sharpshooters. with Marksman ratings in 6 categories. They learned from an early age that guns are not toys and how to handle them safely.

Sorry bout you at the age of 9.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #21
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

I used to have a Smith and Wesson 9mm and HATED it. I like colt .45s better...even a .38 is better. I hate shotguns. Too big!!! I like handguns better. I personally don't have one anymore, tho.
- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
paulj_in_phx Male

Omg, I love my 12 gauge! It's so light, easy to pump, and smooth....so perty. LOL

The first time I used it...I spent 100 rounds, ....had a huge bruise over my right shoulder for the next 2 weeks...LOL...cause I wasnt using a pad.

Freaked the ____ outta me the next morning!!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #23
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulj_in_phx:
....had a huge bruise over my right shoulder for the next 2 weeks...LOL...cause I wasnt using a pad.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT is why I hate them!! Doesn't matter if I hold it right.....that kick kicks my ____.
- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 PM   #24
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Are you serious?!?!??

I am not familiar with the social requirements to attend a nude beach. I have never
&lt;snip&gt;
There is so much to do in Germany. Trier is a cool place to go and see all the
&lt;snip&gt;
any place in Europe is even cheaper than taking a taxi twenty blocks.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...well honestly? If it was socially acceptable in Germany to go to the beach naked, and it was something that ordinary families did, then I would probably be willing to try it. I mean, I can try anything once if it doesn't hurt anyone. I wouldn't have any burnt retina problems. If anything my son and I would probably attract crowds declaring their love for our bodies, and possibly offering us modeling contracts...

Thanks for the info about Germany! We'll be passing through there twice, as we travel to and from Sweden through Denmark. We really need info about places to see and things to do throughout all of Europe actually. Right now we have nothing more than airports and some relatives to visit on our schedule. Details like taxi expenses are very helpful, as we'll be backpacking and needing to keep things very cheap. You wouldn't happen to know anything about hostels in Germany, would you?

Later,
Bobby
Old 03-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #25
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

I did all of my touring through the USO and only military ID cardholders can go through them or I would tell you to go through them.

I also stayed at post hotels because I got discounts based on my hubby's rank. I know nothing about hotels on the economy. Sorry!!!

You could probably go to any travel website and maybe get some suggestions or ideas.

I do know that a lot of Burgs or Schloss's (Castles) you can stay at for free if they offer that program...I forgot what it is called off the top of my head...youth something...oh, that is going to bother me all night now...ugh!! How it works is you stay overnight for free as long as you agree to clean up after yourself and maybe help out in some other cheasy, easy way. So, I guess technically it is not completely free, but pretty near.

If you are going to ride the trains there are special passes and you actually buy them out of vending machines at the train stations. There is a button (British flag button) that you push for English instructions, so it isn't too difficult to figure out.

If you go around asking "Sprecken si English?" you might find someone who can help you that way (pronounced as Shprecken si {as in yes in Spanish} Englase - you are asking if they speak English and most Germans do...it is required to graduate from school). I can guarantee you that the teens or young adults speak it well).

Another BIG tip...DO NOT GET EUROS IN THE USA!!! Wait till you get to Europe....the transfer fee rate is MUCH better. Also, don't use the ATM's to pull money out of your account unless you have no choice. Be sure to take some cash with you and walk into a bank to transfer your money. The places in the Airport that transfer your money is better to use in Europe verses the ones in USA.

Anyway....I am rambling BADLY...that is what happens when one is tired...I will go to bed now...LOL
- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #26
4strong Female
Board Blazen Parent

I was brought up around guns, and taught they absolutely aren't toys. My Dad has over 25 different guns. He doesn't hunt or anything, just loves to go shooting up in the woods. Get's all decked out in his cammo gear, kinda funny. Anyways, he has them all locked up in his gun case, up and away from the kids so I don't worry. He got my 4 year old his first BB gun this christmas, takes him out in the backyard (4 acres) and shoots with him. Sam LOVES it!
And I have shot a shot gun once and never again! I practically fell on my ____, and had a huge bruise the next day!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:47 PM   #27
StopDiscrimination
On the Board

And I have shot a shot gun once and never again! I practically fell on my ____, and had a huge bruise the next day! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!! I know!!!! It is not an easy gun to handle....that is why I don't even bother with it.

We have gotten way off the subject....sorry AZ!!!!!!!!!!
- Lord Chesterfield
Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 AM   #28
azsteelerfan43
Board Member

It's ok SD-we all get off track here time to time...
Anyways-if you look on the net about homeschooling in Germany there are several sites pertaining to this issue.
I guess one reason many people didn't want their kids in school there is b/c Germany allows-suppossedly-kids to be taught explicit sex education in elementary school-and these parents-who are largely Russian immigrants and have a strong Christian conviction-didn't want their kids in that setting..among other things....
Well, personally for me-I couldn't imagine home schooling my kids for a lot of reasons-mainly b/c I have to work, couldn't teach them everything they need to learn (math!), plus I would go crazy ...however, if I really didn't agree to what a school was teaching I would want to have the right to move them to another or even teach them myself if I had to-apparently these people in germany cannot. One girl the Gov. there took from her family sited one reason for keeping her in foster care was because she wanted to stay with her family, had the same beliefs and was loyal and obedient to her father. They claimed she was brainwashed b/c she didn't go to public school...
This all seems very extreme to me. I don't understand why they won't let parents home school their kids?
I have known many people that have lived in Germany- mostly refugees from places like Iran or Bosnia-they said it was great and fun and all that- but I don't know..If I was leaving Bosnia (back when they were at war) or Iran I would probobly think it was great too-and I am sure there is fun to be had there but I just don't agree with the strict regulations put on parents and especially the prices they pay for doing what they thing is best.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #29
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

I do know that a lot of Burgs or Schloss's (Castles) you can stay at for free if they offer that program...I forgot what it is called off the top of my head...youth something...oh, that is going to bother me all night now...ugh!! How it works is you stay overnight for free as long as you agree to clean up after yourself and maybe help out in some other cheasy, easy way. So, I guess technically it is not completely free, but pretty near. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks again...a free stay in a castle is *definitely* on our list of things to do. Little Bobby will flip when I suggest the idea. We'll google it tonight.

You rode the trains a lot in Europe? We plan on getting Rail Europe passes, which say that they are good for a month of 1st class travel. How nice is 1st class on a train? Would we be able to sleep on them?

I have another thread about this actually...I should post more questions there...

Thanks,
Bobby