Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey financial help - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'.(``'. Single Parenting - Issues .').')
> Stay @ Home Single Parents

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 07-05-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
coco
I am New

coco is an unknown quantity at this point

i am 7 months pregnant with my first. i have been working 13 hour days waiting tables and am beging to tire of it. i was hoping to work till the end but am beginning to realize i am not superwoman. i would love to stay home with the baby for a couple of months after the birth but i don't think that is affordable. does anyone know of any way i could do this. (the father is not in the picture and will not be) any information would be so appreciated. thank you. coco
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
ChadTheDad
I am New

ChadTheDad is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is the father not involved? Have you talked with your parrents? Room mates?
ChadTheDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:57 PM   #3
Dew
Setting New Standards

Dew is an unknown quantity at this point

Coco,
yes, you should definitely find a place to stay where you don�t have to worry about paying bills for the first 1-2 months. Even a normal delivery that goes well can be a lot of stress on your body, you won�t be able to work 13 hours the first weeks, you have to have time to recover too. If you feel well enough after a month, good, but don�t plan on it, it�s not at all usual, it�s not expected either.
Talk to your gynecologist about it.
Can you stay with your Mom ?
Or a girlfriend ?
And the same applies for now. Don�t place yourself and your child at risk, try to find a solution now, because you might be able to work another 1-2 weeks, but then the baby will really grow in your belly, and even if you�re a thin woman usually, you will feel enormous. It doesn�t mean you won�t feel well, the 9th month was the best month of my pregnancy, but that is mostly because I had nothing to do but to go for long walks, sit on park benches, sleep a lot�and such, and that is exactly what an expecting woman at that stage should be doing, and nothing more.

Good luck for everything !!

My God, this makes me think of that young father in another post today, he says he will �try to be a Dad to his child�, well, you do the same �try to be a Mom to your baby � LOL
Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
coco
I am New

coco is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an apartment, and i realize that i can't work 13 hour days, i guess what i am trying to find out is if there is a way or some sort of assistance that could help me pay my bills, ect for a couple of months. i don't think that i could collect unemployment which is what i was counting on. my parents can't afford to help me out they would if they could. besides this is my issue that i need to deal with not theirs. thank you for the positive reply.
Quote:
Originally posted by coco:
[qb]i am 7 months preg nant with my first. i have been working 13 hour days waiting tables and am beging to tire of it. i was hoping to work till the end but am beginning to realize i am not superwoman. i would love to stay home with the baby for a couple of months after the birth but i don't think that is affordable. does anyone know of any way i could do this. (the father is not in the picture and will not be) any information would be so appreciated. thank you. coco[/qb]
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:06 PM   #5
CA
Setting New Standards

CA is an unknown quantity at this point

Coco,
Go to Children and families in your area and see if they have any answers for you. Also as Red suggested, talk to your gyn. Do this before you go to C&F. That way you have medical backup to show them you need help.
I have not had to do this, so I am pulling at straws here, but it is a starting point. You should still be able to physically work part time, if your gyn thinks so. Legally you are allowed non-paid leave time (for maternity or illness)without them firing you. Check this out before approaching your employer. If you are lucky they will not find some other way to fire you. That has happened a lot so I hear.
good luck.
Carla
CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #6
sweetserpentinefire
I am New

sweetserpentinefire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by coco:
[qb]i have an apartment, and i realize that i can't work 13 hour days, i guess what i am trying to find out is if there is a way or some sort of assistance that could help me pay my bills, ect for a couple of months. i don't think that i could collect unemployment which is what i was counting on. my parents can't afford to help me out they would if they could. besides this is my issue that i need to deal with not theirs. thank you for the positive reply. [/qb]
I agree with everyone else try department of family services, WIC, HUD Housing or low income housing, and Child Support Services. Whether or not the father wants to be involved has nothing to do with paying for his responsibility. Hang in there and Good Luck.
null
sweetserpentinefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
c5dcc
I am New

c5dcc is an unknown quantity at this point

COCO

do a search on line in your departmetn of health and ask them for help.
talk to you church if you dont go to church your local church to see if they can help out at all some do give a flat $ amount to people in need once in awhile. IT depends on their funds.

CHeck it out and see whats there .I do have list of free sites but none are for helping out with things.

Talk to your doctors office they might have connections too.
Apply now for WIC , food stamps ect. to help you out.

good luck
c5dcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:07 AM   #8
gg9909
Learning to Surf The Board

gg9909 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Coco, I have been there before and understand. Is there any skill you have that you can turn into a home business? sew? write? paint? I can give you the basics if you wish. Let me know.
gg9909 is offline   Reply With Quote