Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Question for SAHM's or former SAHM's - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Stay @ Home Single Parents

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 11-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
MindShift Female
Board Member

MindShift has a spectacular aura about
Default Question for SAHM's or former SAHM's

When your husband walked out on you and your family, obviously you were financially dependent on him. How did you protect yourself and ensure financial support for yourself during the separation period? Separation agreements aren't court ordered, so I feel like he won't see that as something he *has* to do.

I will be going through CSS to have his wages garnished for child support, but I am very unsure on how to solidify spousal support during our required separation window.

Thoughts? What was your experience like?

TIA
MindShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Question for SAHM's or former SAHM's

Basically I threatened him with the fact that he had equity in that home we lived in and I was NOT capable of paying the mortgage... if he ever wanted to see his 70K than he should pay the $1,600 mortgage payment BUT, my ex is a follower when it comes to ideas, opinions... so he did it, barely and kind of, but did it. Plus, his name was first on the mortgage and I explained that if I walked away from it he'd lose it. If I stayed for the sake of the kids, make it easy for him and his MOTHER to see them and kept the home, kept it heated, etc... he could get the equity someday.

Basically, I wrote up an agreement and when we finally separated officially we fixed it up and added it to that that he had a certain amount of time to buy me out (wasn't happening) or I'd sell. Sucked as I had to sell, but in the end we're in a better place now and I often think if I was still there would I still be that same person I was, ewww, I can't even fathom it. I'm a totally different person, to include my old being... soooo much stronger, independent, positive-thinker, etc. I love how it turned out (though I hate how it turned out as we are STILL under financial stress, though I've done a dang good job of keeping the home we purchased without him!
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
MindShift Female
Board Member

MindShift has a spectacular aura about

Nice angle, Re-Mom. Nice indeed.
MindShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

that was brilliant re-mom------- kudo
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Funny, at the time of it I thought I was being dumb, now I see the light. i also learned from that how easily he can be swayed and how honestly I could mess with him (feels like it anyway) to get him to do things that I needed for the kids. It doesn't work much anymore, though sometimes I can still pull it off. Had a good 6-7 yr run of figuring out the right angle with him though... Honestly, I was causing him to have MIND SHIFTS!

I think it is a basic survival skill though, as a mom, it was a matter of getting what I felt was the best option for my kids.
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
calooa Female
Finding my way

calooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I am not sure what state you are in Mind Shifts, but in Montana where I am from, legal separation do exist. I just today went to court to have mine approved. Once entered into, there is a 6 month waiting period before it can be converted to a divorce. Like Re-Mom, I was able to secure the mortgage payment and also a substantial amount of child support until both of my kids are in school full time (in 2 yrs). At that time, we will figure out the property settlement, even though we will be divorced probably sometime next summer.

My suggestion is that you find out if your state allows legal separations that are enforceable by the court because if they do, get one!!!
calooa is offline   Reply With Quote